The initial date of construction of the Tower of Justice dates as far back as the reign of Mehmed II (the Conqueror) (1453-1481). Also known as “Kasr-ı Adl”, the form of the Tower of Justice as represented in Melling’s engraving has undergone a transformation; the square plinth now supports a belvedere. Each façade of this unit carries three rectangular windows with triangular pediments and the top section is completed with a pyramidal spire. Reminiscent of the Empire style, the renovation of the structure must have been commissioned by Mahmud II. Along with the Mecidiye Pavillion, which features similar characteristics, the present-day Tower of Justice evokes Neo-Renaissance and Baroque styles of design and dates back to the final years of Abdülmecid’s reign (1839-1861).